The name of these cookies doesn’t come close to describing my dog’s reaction to them!
My dogs love Blue Buffalo products and I struck an agreement with “Mr. Man-Earning-Paycheck” that we will switch to Blue Buffalo dry food if I make all dog cookies and we buy no more treats! I realized we spend about the same in treats as what Blue Buffalo costs over our current kibble. I reviewed the ingredients in their treats and my first attempt at faux-BB met with an over enthusiastic response! We had twirling, tail wagging, licking of my ankles and urgent begging for one of these cookies!
Sell My Soul for a Salmon Pumpkin Cookie!
- 1 can pink salmon (red salmon, if you are a millionaire)
- 1 small can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 cups instant potato flakes (get the generic cheap stuff)
- 10 vit E soft caps cut in half (a bit messy, include caps, its gelatin)
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- Into Mixer bowl add salmon, everything included, liquid, skin, bones…
- Turn on mixer on low, use batter paddles
- Add eggs, shell and all! It gets broken up small and is good calcium!
- Add 1 small can solid pack pumpkin.
- Keep mixing, stop occasionally to scrape down sides if necessary.
- Cut Vitamin E caps into mixture, toss in soft cap, it’s gelatin.
- Drizzle a smattering of molasses.
- Add the dry instant potatoes, continue mixing -should be consistency of Play-Doh.
- Grease a large baking dish, I used coconut oil.
- Turn mix into pan and use hands or use piece of waxed paper and smooch flat and into corners.
- Use knife or pastry scraper and cut 1 inch squares into dough. Once done they will break apart into cubes.
- Bake 300º for about 2 hours or more. Turn off oven and leave inside until cool. You can grab a few pieces at this point but cool thoroughly before giving to dogs (interior is hot!)
- Bask in the love 🙂